FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

run a non-secure slash command in 2 steps?

Moderator: MiRai

<<

crookedcross

Post Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:50 am

run a non-secure slash command in 2 steps?

I am attempting to add a menu button for "set loot method = free for all"
without using up a precious (in-game) key binding.
That precludes the use of a Game Helpers macro.

I can do it with a mapped key in 4 steps with "pressed OR released" checked:
1: send "open chat" key
2: Key String action "/ffa"
3: send Enter key
4: empty (so have even number of steps)

But would like to reduce it to a single key (press+release), i.e. 2 steps.

Is this possible?

Various forum posts lead me to believe it might work in a single step,
with either a combination of a Key String action and normal key actions
or a series of normal key actions spelling out the command.

But I was unable to make it work, and since the posts were doing it in EQ I thought perhaps this is not intended to work in WOW.

If I can get this to work, then I can use the same method to add rarely used or silly stuff to popup menus without using up any in-game keys.
e.g. emotes or other "non-secure" WOW slash commands.
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:03 am

Re: run a non-secure slash command in 2 steps?

Each game handles pasting text into its own client differently, and some games work using several Actions in a single Step, while other games require that you literally spell out every letter via an Action.

I know you stated you were trying to avoid using an in-game key binding, but they're really not all that precious or unique and there must be over 300 possible key combinations through use of modifiers -- Even more for WoW since you can differentiate between left and right modifiers for WoW macros.
<<

crookedcross

Post Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:59 am

I am trying to avoid use of modifiers as they co-mingle if a key is pressed with "hold" enabled, e.g. as needed for motion keys.

However for "set loot method" or emotes, I wont be combining with motion or other keys, so here is where I should use modifiers.
Thanks for sound advice.
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:23 am

crookedcross wrote:I am trying to avoid use of modifiers as they co-mingle if a key is pressed with "hold" enabled, e.g. as needed for motion keys.

World of Warcraft is a game that doesn't require the Hold option enabled to use modifiers.
<<

crookedcross

Post Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:26 pm

You do need hold for motion keys (I did not say you need hold for modifiers in general)
and after reading lax's explanation of how modifiers collide if a key is pressed with the hold option:
http://isboxer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=6041
I have developed an aversion to modifiers - so I can move while using abilities.

But I do not need to "set loot method" while moving :) so I am free to use modifiers here.

To avoid collision with my existing in-game bindings, I am trying to follow your suggestion:
MiRai wrote:-- Even more for WoW since you can differentiate between left and right modifiers for WoW macros.

But if I specify e.g. Alt+Ctrl+Shift+L in the HotKey picker for one macro:
bind to normal mods.PNG
bind to normal mods.PNG (19.05 KiB) Viewed 15787 times

and Alt+Right Ctrl+Shift+L for another macro:
bind to right ctrl.PNG
bind to right ctrl.PNG (20.09 KiB) Viewed 15787 times

they are not seen as distinct:
error message.PNG
error message.PNG (6.14 KiB) Viewed 15787 times

Apparently "Ctrl" means "right or left Ctrl" here.
So how do I properly differentiate between left and right mods when defining a WoW macro?
<<

relative

Post Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:37 am

I'm interested in knowing if there's a way to achieve this since nobody gave a clear answer. If you do it with one step the game will interpret the first input and pretty much ignore the rest. Is there a way to add delay between each key?
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:00 am

All the actions in a single Step in a mapped key are effectively executed at the same time, so how the game deals with this, is up to the game, as MiRai said.
For example, in EQ, you can have a single step with multiple Keystroke Actions, which spell out "/TAR CHARNAME <ENTER>" and provided the total length is 15 characters or less it will work.

The only way to have a delay between keys is to use multiple steps in the mapped key, and then manually insert a delay by you pressing and letting go of the key.
<<

relative

Post Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:48 am

The game only responds to the first step per keystroke. Also, the game doesn't respond to string action. But since the game caches the chat logs its easy to press up/down to retrieve whatever and use the /follow command for example.
I just need to send (Enter, Up/Down, Enter ) with a single keystroke instead of using 3.
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:28 pm

relative wrote:The game only responds to the first step per keystroke. Also, the game doesn't respond to string action. But since the game caches the chat logs its easy to press up/down to retrieve whatever and use the /follow command for example.
I just need to send (Enter, Up/Down, Enter ) with a single keystroke instead of using 3.

If we're talking about TERA, then it does respond to a Key String action. Your Mapped Key for follow should look something like this:

S1 - Keystroke Action - Enter
S2 - KeyString Action (One Action per alphanumeric, including spaces) - /follow CharacterName
S3 - Keystroke Action - Enter
S4 - Empty

Set the Mapped Key to execute on pressed OR released, and then press it twice to follow the character.
<<

relative

Post Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:32 am

You actually only need to do two steps with the press or release, in fact you wont even reach step four.

I thought it would be possible to do this with only press or release aka one keystroke since we have two methods of execution. How does the reset work here since we already have Enter in first step.

EDIT: I try to stay away from using macros since they are not needed in this game but I guess as a last resort I ended using one to stimulate a double keystroke. Its just tedious to double keystroke just to perform a single action.

Return to Key Maps